WHAT IS THE FOOD POLICE?
Save this post for later, click the red pin-it button.
This is one of my favourite principles because we get to challenge all of the judgement and guilt you have around food and finally bust those myths and FREE YOU from their grip!
EXAMPLES OF THE FOOD POLICE
– Not beginning to eat until noon or not eating after 6PM
– Filling half your plate with something green because you are told to
– Asking the waiter to not bring bread to your table
– Drinking a full glass of water when you are hungry instead of eating
– Saving calories for a meal out
– Not ‘drinking your calories’
– Only eating sugar on your ‘cheat day’
– Chewing gum when you are hungry between meals instead of having a snack
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT TO RID OURSELF OF THE FOOD POLICE
Often, we take these ideas from the food police as health facts. This becomes extremely dangerous when our version of health is tied up in diet culture and the food police instead of science!
Choosing to free ourselves from the grip of food police feels like taking a deep breath! However, we cannot rid ourselves of the food police without first identifying the food police within our own lives.
Identifying the Food Police
I challenge you to stop right now and think of 5 rules or ideas you have around food that are likely the food police. Use the above list to jog your memory around what your food police may be telling you!
Go on! I’ll wait…
Now, your next step is to identify…
“WHO IS TALKING?”
This is the first question to ask yourself when it comes to staring down your food police! Often, when I ask my clients this question they think for a moment and then respond with, “my cousin the account told me to chew gum to suppress my appetite!” Or, “I saw it in a commercial for _____ diet!”
You’re Turn! Think of the 5 rules you identified above. One by one identify Who is Talking with each one!
HOW DO WE BEGIN TO FREE OURSELVES?
By challenging the food police. When a rule from the food police pops into your mind, challenge it!
– FOOD POLICE I can’t have that brownie! I’ve already had a sweet today.
– CHALLENGE Well actually, I’m learning to honour my hunger. And today, that’s going to be having another brownie because it’s ok to have treats when they are around!
– FOOD POLICE I can’t have a snack, I just had lunch!
– CHALLENGE I actually can have snacks; snacks are not the enemy!
– FOOD POLICE It’s bedtime, everything I eat now will become fat!
– CHALLENGE Actually, that’s not true. If my body is asking me to eat now, it’s because she needs food now!
Now you try with one of yours… I’ll wait…
Often our policing around food has slipped into our lives after decades of living in our diet ridden culture. It takes time to identify and challenge the food police, and that’s ok!
If you would like to have personalized support tailored to your needs, please reach out. I am just a click away.
And remember, the first step is always just to start!
FOOD FREEDOM COACH
LICENSED HEALTH AND NUTRITION COUNSELLOR
Sign Up For My Love Notes
I’ll send you emails that contain my latest blog posts and helpful resources I’ve been loving.
by submitting, you agree to receive emails from me